4 min read
As mentioned in my last post, after my positive experience with one little word in 2018, I decided to again pick a word for this new year. The word I am choosing is Peace.
2019 will be crazy (but great)
This coming year is going to be a
hectic full one. Full of work and full of decisions. From March until May/June I will be doing an internship with a research institute in Potsdam, Germany which is a wonderful opportunity for me. However, it means being away from Edd, from work, from my normal routine.
Until then I have to finish off my research proposal and meet a whole lot of work deadlines. And to top it off, Edd and I are currently debating moving house this year. (I won’t share any more details about this until we’re a bit further along in our own thinking but will probably post
As you see, there are many opportunities for me to be stressed and worried. Lately, I have felt a bit more anxious and have struggled to sleep well as there are just so many things to think about.
What do I need?
When it came to choosing my word for the year I didn’t think so much about things that I want to do or need to improve on (which I did last year) but rather about what I NEED. And in all this change and uncertainty and busyness and excitement what I really need is Peace.
Only a few days ago this word came to my mind and immediately it felt completely right. I want to have peace when entering into a time of long-distance marriage – both with myself and my husband. To be at peace when making big decisions. And peace in the day to day, not being overwhelmed with anxiety.
What does Peace mean to me
I looked up some definitions of peace and loved the Hebrew meaning of the word ‘Shalom’ (which translates to peace) which includes: wholeness, fulfilment, security, harmony and well-being. Amazing, right? Some of my favourite verses in the Bible
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”
To me, peace means to act according to my heart, even when it is difficult. It means to stop, to rest in the knowledge that it will all be good. To not stress about what others think. Being at peace is not to shy away from confrontation but to speak
My 2019 goals
Last year I had quite a long list of goals – things I wanted to focus and work on. (Some I achieved, some I didn’t – I hopefully will share more about this next week or so). This year I took a different approach. I asked myself: What things do I need to do to have (more) peace?
I came up with the following list:
- Do what the Philippians verse says: instead of worrying – pray. Look to Jesus and thank him for all of his blessings. Remembering his love for me, my salvation and the future I have in him puts everything else into perspective.
- Write things down. Journaling, this blog, writing letters – this slowed down mode of thinking and communicating helps me to process and feel more at peace.
- Continue to make exercise a priority. I joined a pretty wonderful gym at the end of Septemeber and have managed to regularly attend workout classes there and also go to a local yoga studio about once a week. My aim for 2019 is to do some form of exercise for at least 30 minutes 3 times a week.
- A clean and tidy environment makes me feel calm. I want to come up with a schedule of cleaning, washing and doing other housework so that these tasks do not become additional stressors or things to think about. Nothing like a tidy house and freshly washed bedding to make you feel peaceful, right?
- Act peacefully. By which I mean – act in accordance with my values – buy second hand, don’t shop on Sundays, avoid plastic, take public transport, etc. I don’t feel at peace when I do thinks that I think are wrong. Simple as that.
Happy 2019, friends!
I hope you all have a very good and peaceful new year! Let me know what your goals or intentions are for the coming months, I am always interested to hear from you. Lots of love x