3 min read
We’re 17 days into the new year. How is it going so far? How are your 2020 goals going? Are you bursting with motivation or feeling overwhelmed?
Honestly, I am feeling a mixture of motivation and overwhelm these days. I am still very much in love with our new home here in Berlin and it has been fun to explore more of our neighbourhood and to make new friends. But I am still also finding my feet. Currently I am looking for a “proper job” and it has been hard.
I feel so ready to learn and get involved and work hard, but things are stalling and I am just waiting. Which is draining. And I feel like I am losing time. Maybe that’s overdramatic? I am trying to make the most of this time though. It’s a privilege to have this time to focus on myself, to sit here right now and write, to try out new recipes, and to hang out with friends. Some days I feel grateful for this gift of time, others not so much. But I guess that is all part of life.
With the above in mind, you might be able to imagine that I started the year expectant but also a bit weary. Nevertheless, I did set some goals for the year. (I mean, of course I did!) Once I am in a job and super busy doing super important things, I might have to throw some of them overboard, but I think that is okay. Life is all about being flexible! So here we go.
My 2020 goals
- Take one day off every week. A day dedicated to re-charging, spending time with Jesus, going outside, reading books and just resting. I wrote a bit more about this in my post on my word for the year.
- Read through the Bible chronologically. I have come across a breakdown of the Bible in chronological order and this looked like such a helpful way of digging into Scripture this year. I just made it through Job (which I enjoyed reading much more than I had anticipated) and I am looking forward to immerse myself in all the strange and wonderful stories of the Bible.
- Go on 120 runs. So far: 2 down, 118 to go. I am using the goal tracker by Elise Joy to keep count.
- Read 50 books. I had at first set this number at 40 but I already read 4 books so far, so I thought I might make it to 50. You can check out my goodreads account to see what I am currently reading if you like.
- Try tap-dancing. I don’t know why, but I really want to do this!
- Dedicate time to this little blog. Writing and connecting with people brings me so much joy and I would love to develop this little space further.
- Get back to regularly practicing guitar. Whilst at university I didn’t have quite enough energy and time to expand my guitar skills but I am hoping now I am finished with my Master’s I can at least get 10 minutes of practice in everyday.
- Get more involved with the local Green party. I went to a couple of their meetings at the end of last year and found it so exciting to be part of conversations that have the potential to shape my neighbourhood.
- Use the 1-second everyday app to record snippets of my life. Two years ago I recorded 1 second everyday in January and I loved the result. You can see it here. I can’t wait to watch a whole video about 2020.
What are your 2020 goals?